Saturday 7 March 2015

Rimmel London Velvet Matte Nail Polish Review


I recently bought two 'Velvet Matte' nail polishes from  Rimmel, 'Sumptuous Red' and 'Purple Opulence'. I really like the colour of both and I liked the idea of matte polishes. However after using them I was actually quite disappointed.
      Within hours of applying the purple it had chipped quite drastically (if I had a matte top coat to apply this might have been avoidable) With the red the chipping isn't as bad but within minutes small chips had appeared. The plus side of this polish is that it dries very quickly (a massive bonus if, like me, you are quite impatient waiting for nail polish to dry)
    Two coats of the purple was enough for an even, solid colour but the red is still a little streaky.

Sumptuous Red after applying
I like the colour of the red (a deep almost purpley red) so much that to protect it from chipping I have put an ordinary top coat on so that it lasts longer. It has gotten rid of the matte effect but I don't really mind as I prefer the colour to the matte effect. It is drying as I write this so I don't know how long the polish will last before chipping but I will update this post when I find out

Sumptuous Red with ordinary top coat
If you are looking for a good matte polish then, unless you have a matte top coat, I wouldn't recommend it. For the price it was, I expected better.

What are your feelings on matte polishes? Do you have a matte polish that you love? Leave a comment below.

Update: The red started to chip at the ends of the nail after the first day but it isn't too bad

Update Again: I removed this polish about a week later to redo it because it had chipped and was covered in paint (#artprobs) and I found that despite applying a base coat it had stained my nails slightly.


-AnEnglishRose xx




No comments:

Post a Comment